Thursday, January 22, 2009

Winter comfort

















There's plenty of light pollution hereabouts, with more creeping in all the time, but our nights are still dark enough that we sometimes get a really spectacular sky full of stars, and a clear view of the Milky Way. It happens mostly in winter, the only time the air is dry enough to be completely clear. As much as I hate the cold, I love standing outside on a January night, putting a crick in my neck as I try to pick out the constellations. ...(more)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hank Wilson's Back" is a dandy pick for "The Music," probably the best thing The Master of Space and Time ever did, and probably the best anyone has ever done Hank (maybe even better than Hank himself).

The post is lovely. The immensity of things (along with what's so tiny about the universe) has always mystified me, almost to the point that I think we may be mis-understanding what we see. Maybe all the space is just a perceptual trope (something having to do with time) and we'll find out someday that everything is just next door.

BitterGrace said...

My brother had "Hank Wilson's Back" on vinyl, back when it first came out, and we just about played it to death. I hadn't listened to it in ages, and you're right--it is Leon at his best.

I have been meditating on the 2nd graf of your comment since I read it yesterday. It's a sort of intuitive expression of relativity theory, isn't it? Anyway, it's fun to "conjure" on, as my grandmother used to say.