Saturday, January 17, 2009

A little romance













We've been getting just a taste of the intensely cold weather the rest of the country's having. Thursday was extremely chilly here, with enough wind to make walking outdoors less than blissful. I hiked about half my usual distance and decided that was enough. At one point on the trail--which was completely deserted except for me and one scrambling chipmunk--I encountered an overpowering odor of skunk. That seemed a little odd. Cold weather generally encourages skunks to stay huddled in their dens. I figured some unlucky guy had ventured out in search of a snack and become one. Skunks are a favorite food of great horned owls. ...(more)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture! They are so cute! :) As I just said this now, my husband strongly disagrees, but that is his biased opinion: he was sprayed by the littel cute animal when he went out with the garbage one night, when he was studYing in the U(I really enjoy your pictures of birds and animals!)

BitterGrace said...

Oh, being sprayed by a skunk is awful! I don't blame your husband for his dislike. Our dogs have been sprayed and then entered the house--which is almost as bad.

Glad you enjoy the pics. Our birds are beginning to stir and flirt in anticipation of spring, so I'm sure I'll be doing some more bird posts soon.