Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Following up yesterday's screed...

I've got a review in the Scene this week of a show by a Nashville artist that's all about conceptions of the female body in contemporary culture. I don't usually link to my articles when they're this local, but the artist, Lauren Kalman, has a website where you can see photos of the exhibit. You'll find them here, and my review is up at the Scene's website here. I thought Kalman worked out some intriguing ideas in this show. She has a remarkable ability to incorporate varied, contradictory images of "femaleness" into a single object. The decontextualizing I mention in the review is problematic, especially in a show such as this, which is essentially a social critique. Still, there's some powerful stuff in this woman's work.

2 comments:

Perfumeshrine said...

White padded walls???? Wheelchair???
You did good to tell it like it is.

And congrats on another writing piece :-)

BitterGrace said...

I dunno about you, E, but sometimes that padded room looks pretty good to me--restful, anyway. ;-)

Thanks.