Thursday, September 6, 2007

Good deed for the day























Via Wikimedia Commons

Every hummingbird in N. America seems to be stopping here on the trip south. I've got 5 quart feeders up and I have to refill them every 2 days--so much for complaints about not enough hummers! I went out to hang a freshly filled feeder on my carport this morning, and discovered a young male trapped in a dense cobweb near the door. (Hey, I never said I was a good housekeeper.) He was struggling to get loose and I thought he'd make it on his own, but no. When it was clear he was tiring himself out, I went over and picked him loose. He latched onto a window screen for a minute or so, and then he flew over to rejoin the battle over the food. It's amazing that such fragile little creatures are so pugnacious.

1 comment:

chayaruchama said...

I just adore him.
Would have done just what you did.