Monday, April 28, 2008

Moles


















"Why Moles Live Underground"

Many ages ago there was a man who was in love with a young woman who disliked him and wanted nothing to do with this young man. He tried in every way to win her favor, but with no success. At last he grew discouraged and made himself sick thinking about it.

Then one day as the man sat alone in his despair, Mole came along, and finding the man so low in his mind, asked what the trouble was. The man told him the whole story of the woman he loved, and her dislike of him, and when he had finished, Mole said, "I can help you. Not only will she like you, but she will come to you of her own free will."
...more


The damp spring here has meant a wealth of earthworms, and that means good times for the moles. Their tunnels are all over the place. The trail was criss-crossed with them this morning, and it occurred to me that I know next to nothing about them, even though they're as common as, well, dirt. So I went surfing around the Web this afternoon in search of information, and I was a little shocked to find that there are scads of sites devoted to various methods of mole "control"--the polite term for poisoning, trapping, gassing and otherwise tormenting the harmless critters. I know they're considered pests, but geez, I had no idea of the hatred. The little fable above, supposedly a traditional Cherokee tale, was about the only scrap of admiration I could find. Even most of the wildlife sites discussed them primarily as a problem for lawn-obsessed humans. I did find a fairly neutral page here.

Bats, snakes, spiders, cockroaches--they all have their fans, but the mole seems to have no one. So the next time you see a mole mound, spare a kind thought for the little guy. He needs all the friends he can get.




Photo from Wikipedia

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The moles don't do nearly as much damage to my "lawn" (which consists entirely of weeds and clover) as the two resident canines inflict in digging up the mole tunnels. They're hoping to do the moles exactly what those websites you found aim for, but all they manage to accomplish every spring is to convince the moles to move out and find a new place to tunnel. Our mole problem typically lasts less than a day.

David Maddox said...

As Bascom Lamar Lunsford put it

I wish I was a mole in the ground
Yes I wish I was a mole in the ground
If I's a mole in the ground I'd root that mountain down
And I wish I was a mole in the ground

Oh Tippy wants a nine dollar shawl
Yes Tippy wants a nine dollar shawl
I come o'er the hill with a forty dollar bill
Baby where you been so long

I been in the bend so long
Yes I been in the bend so long
I been in the bend with the rough and rowdy men
Baby where you been so long

Oh I don't like a railroad man
No I don't like a railroad man
If I's a railroad man they'll kill you when he can
Drink up your blood like wine

Oh I wish I was a lizard in the spring
Yes I wish I was a lizard in the spring
If I's a lizard in the spring I'd hear my darlin' sing
And I wish I was a lizard in the spring

Oh Capie let your hair roll down
Capie let your hair roll down
Let your hair roll down and your bangs curl round
Oh Capie let your hair roll down

I wish I was a mole in the ground
Yes I wish I was a mole in the ground
If I's a mole in the ground I'd root that mountain down
And I wish I was a mole in the ground

Mary said...

My yard is full of them this year. They're feasting on the grubs. Apparantly it's much easier and more effective to rid your yard of the grubs, and the moles will leave. I was at Lowes the other day and people were buying these huge bags of grub-killing granules for their lawns.

Grubs don't have any friends either, I guess.

The Goddess says, 'leave my grubs and moles alone'.

chayaruchama said...

Deary me, I'm in LOVE !

Mr.Mole, you're mine...
Mr. Dave, we're switching souse- you to me, Maria to B.[That much is clear]

Marylove- Goddess knows best !
[As she sits , drinking her coffee from a mug labelled'Goddess', lol !]

chayaruchama said...

HAhaha, switching 'souse ' !
[How'bout SPOUSE ?]

Anonymous said...

It's a pity that moles (and their pursuing dogs) are so destructive. They are cute little fellows, with lovely fur and funny little paddle feet.

David Maddox said...

BG will cook you up some souse if you're nice.

BitterGrace said...

Wow, who knew moles would be such a crowd pleaser? I'm glad we're a mole-friendly cohort. I love that song, too--didn't I link to it once? Anyway, I don't think Chaya would like souse, Dave. It's like haggis, you have to be genetically predisposed to tolerate it.

chayaruchama said...

Bring on the 'souse' biatch !
I'm READY !
I can gag down anything you can dish out...
Especially if :

1) I love you; or,
2) I'm being polite....