Thursday, April 10, 2008

First Hummingbird























It figures that the hummer would be too much of a prima donna to show up on the same day as all those other spring creatures. April 8 has actually been hummingbird arrival day on at least 2 of the 11 years we've been here, but my first hummer was obviously waiting to make a grand entrance. She buzzed up to the feeder while I was washing my dinner dishes around 6:00 this evening. She was very hungry. I'm sure her friends will be along soon.


Color plate illustration from Ernst Haeckel's Kunstformen der Natur, 1904. Image via Wikipedia.

5 comments:

Perfumeshrine said...

It's because you're listening to Shankar ;-)

I hope you hear the merry flutter of many more soon.

Anonymous said...

We always compete to see who sees the first lightening bug. None yet.

BitterGrace said...

I hadn't thought of it, E, but I'm sure the hummers would love Shankar. If I ever want to drive them away I'll crank up the volume on Finntroll!

No lightning bugs here, Bozo. We almost never see one until May, but everything comes a little later to our micro-climate. My dogwwod hasn't even started blooming yet, though I notice a lot of the ones in Nashville have.

Mary said...

I love that green-breasted one on the bottom on her 2 eggs!

BitterGrace said...

Mary, you always notice what I miss! She is beautiful.