Friday, April 25, 2008

Missing New Orleans























Jazz Fest begins this weekend. I wish we were going, and I've been getting little reminders of New Orleans all day that make the desire more acute. This morning I spotted a car with a "Make Levees, Not War" bumper sticker--no doubt its driver was one of Nashville's many Katrina exiles. Then I came home to find an email from a friend praising the beauty of Sidney Bechet's "Blackstick." And without even being aware of it, I just wandered over to my perfume shelves and dabbed on Bourbon French's Marguerite, a scent that always brings fond memories of New Orleans. I hope everybody's having a great time down there.


That note you hold, narrowing and rising, shakes
Like New Orleans reflected on the water,
And in all ears appropriate falsehood wakes,

Building for some a legendary Quarter
Of balconies, flower-baskets and quadrilles,
Everyone making love and going shares...
(more)

From "For Sidney Bechet" by Philip Larkin, 1964




NPR profile of Sidney Bechet

Photo of a Storyville prostitute by E.J. Bellocq, early 20th century. Image via Wikimedia Commons

4 comments:

chayaruchama said...

I pray the dosh helps their flagging economy, and that all goes well.

In my dreams, I'll be there with you, my love.
God, I've ALWAYS loved that photo.

Anonymous said...

Crazy stockings! I want some!

Gracie, why don't you go?

Mary said...

That little tart looks so cool....

BitterGrace said...

That photo is amazing. I love all those E.J. Bellocq Storyville photographs. I may do a whole post on them soon.

We pondered going, Renee, but we're both crazy/busy at the moment. I do want to go sometime next month, though, before it gets too miserably hot.