Sunday, April 6, 2008

Just a little spring


















Just thought I'd post a few of my typically lousy photos so you can see what pretty spring blooms we've got here. The pic above is a weeping cherry that sits right next to my house. Actually, it's kinda menacing my house. The previous owners planted it, and I'm sure they thought it wouldn't get more than 15 feet high. It's closer to 25 feet now, and it's still growing. It looms over the roof and beats up the gutter when there's a storm. Eventually, it'll probably have to go, but in the meantime it puts on a show every spring. Right now it's literally humming with bees, both bumblebees and feral honeybees. I can hear them without even opening the storm door. There's a big magnolia right next to this tree, and together they make a bird playground. The robins hang out there, and it's a favorite spot for mockingbird battles. The hummingbirds like to do acrobatics among the branches.


















This is a rosemary bush that Dave planted years ago. It was a spindly little thing for the longest time, not helped by the fact that the guy who mowed our lawn could not be convinced that it wasn't a weed. He must have cut it down half a dozen times. But last year it suddenly got happy and took off. It's been blooming like crazy for a month.


















This redbud tree sits at the edge of our front yard. Redbuds are the nicest thing about a Tennessee spring, if you ask me. People here are very sentimental about dogwoods, but the redbuds bloom much earlier, and their wonderful splash of pink is a pleasure in the gray days of March. Unlike the dogwoods, they are rugged little trees and will thrive almost anywhere.

I hope it's beautiful where you are.

4 comments:

Perfumeshrine said...

How beautiful nature around you is!
The tree branches on the roof remind me of a summer villa I spent my summers as a child, in which property a great oak tree had been planted the year I was born (coincidentally): it brought so much coolness to the hot siestas of August and it always sounded incredibly "cool" that we had the same age.
Don't cut down the cherry tree, honey.

BitterGrace said...

Oh, you and Dave are kindred spirits, E. He can't stand to cut down anything, and I'm sure he'll never let me go all George Washington on the cherry tree. He has to clean out the gutter, though!

The oak tree sounds lovely. People will never lose their sense of the magic of trees--at least, I hope not.

Anonymous said...

I just have to tell somebody: our trees which the power company butchered last year are coming back in glorious green thhis spring! A little the worse for wear but all the more precious for it.

BitterGrace said...

Hey, Bozo, that's great--nature always fights back, though quietly. It's so sad to see the way the trees are mutilated by those electrical crews. We've never had that problem, though I did have to rescue that redbud in the post from a crew that was digging for the cable company.