Saturday, March 15, 2008

"...And night is night."
























A Sunset of the City
by Gwendolyn Brooks

Kathleen Eileen

Already I am no longer looked at with lechery or love.
My daughters and sons have put me away with marbles and dolls,
Are gone from the house.
My husband and lovers are pleasant or somewhat polite
And night is night.

It is a real chill out,
The genuine thing.
I am not deceived, I do not think it is still summer
Because sun stays and birds continue to sing.
...(more)



Head of a Woman, Albrecht Dürer, c.1520. Image from Web Gallery of Art. Text from Poetry Foundation.

4 comments:

chayaruchama said...

Dear Lord, girl.
Harrowing, precise,spare, and magnificent.

I adore Durer, btw.

Are you blue, beloved ?

BitterGrace said...

Well, I didn't think I was, until I ran across Brooks at her full-throttle saddest ...

Mary said...

Durer is one of my trans-century boyfriends.
Great piece of poetry!

Perfumeshrine said...

I ADORE Dürer!
And the poem ain't half bad either ;-)
(seriously, it's harrowing, like Ida says)