Sunday, July 18, 2010

Oh, it's you






















One of the trails I frequent has a resident pair of coyotes this summer. I see them once or twice a week. They must have a den in the area but I haven’t seen any sign of pups, though there is a third adult that joins them sometimes, possibly their offspring from last year. They fled the first few times I came across them, as coyotes generally do hereabouts. Ours are not bold, suburban coyotes—not yet, anyway. But I’ve become a routine presence to this little family now. ...(more)

4 comments:

Olfacta said...

They are the most adaptable of wildlife (except for rats maybe). In L.A. we had them all over the place. You could hear them yipping at night, a sound I miss. But not to worry, one has been sighted within a mile of my house so soon there will be more...

I saw a coyote trotting down the sidewalk on Sunset Strip once at three in the morning, very nonchalantly. I thought, that's somebody's ghost.

BitterGrace said...

I love that image--the spirit coyote wandering in the city. Maybe it was James Dean...

La Bonne Vivante said...

Coyotes are intriguing beasts, indeed! I lived on a wheat farm in MT for a while, and the coyotes howled around the homestead at night. A haunting, primal sound.

stella p said...

it would have been wonderful to have them around, but I think my two feline friends are glad we don't have them in Scandinavia :)