Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Mystery of Musk: DSH Perfumes, Musk Eau Natural



















Anyone who keeps up with Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's incredibly prolific perfumery knows that she does wonders with musk, so I was eager to see where she'd go with the MoM project. Musk Eau Natural (yeah, the pun's intended) turns out to be a pleasant shock. Instead of being the floral or gourmand I expected, Musk Eau Natural is just musk--straight up, no chaser. It's a fiercely animalic brew with just enough spicy and resinous notes to lend a dirty opulence. Imagine Madini Musk Gazelle refined and moved uptown, but with all its tenacity retained. I have to say that Musk Eau Natural is a bit much in the heat of a Tennessee summer, but I'm sure I'll be hunting down my vial come the annual January scent binge. Read more about Dawn's work on the MoM project here.

*I'm afraid that this is going to be my last on-time post for the Mystery of Musk series. The event officially ends July 7, and duties of one sort or another are calling me away from the blog. Apologies to those I haven't gotten to yet, but I'll be writing a bit on the other beautiful entries in the next week or so. I will, however, close the draw for a bottle of Providence Perfume Co. Musk Nouveau at the end of the day Wednesday, 7/7. Be sure to leave a comment if you want to enter. And of course, do check out all the other bloggers, reviewers and perfumers at the links here.


Reclining nude, Giovanni Boldini (1842-1931)

7 comments:

Monica Skye said...

I will carry on dousing the heavy scents... summer heat wave or no...I am most desirous of this musk without frills fragrance!

womo531 said...

Yes Please! She didn't just do 1 iteration but rather 4, I'm tempted to just buy some samples using the 20% off code.. hehe

BitterGrace said...

Just to clarify--the giveaway bottle is PPC's Musk Nouveau, not DSH's Musk Eau Natural. (Is that confusing enough?)

MN is a very different animal than MEN, though both are lovely ;-)

chayaruchama said...

OH how I adore the DSH !!!!!

Like MM, I could bathe in this- and I damn well might....

Agreed.
Comparing pineapples and watermelons; two completely different creatures, both amazingly pleasurable.

MWAH.

Anonymous said...

Musk Gazelle, thank you for mentioning that, I couldn't quite think what DSH's wonderful musk perfume reminded me of, now you've jogged my memory. I prefer the DSH, though, it's truly stunning. And please enter me in the drawing!
-Marla

Bellatrix said...

I bet this would be great as a body oil :)

Bellatrix said...

I bet this would be great as a body oil :)