Monday, November 16, 2009

The shadows lengthen so fast...

My mother called this afternoon to tell me that her younger brother Hal has died. He had a massive heart attack and was gone before they could get him to a hospital. Hal was a bright spirit, always ready to laugh, and he loved to play practical jokes on my mom. They were very close all their lives, and it's so sad to know that she's lost him.

Hal, my mother, and their eldest brother Jimmy performed as a gospel trio when they were young, and they would usually sing whenever the family got together. I can't say I always enjoyed those impromptu performances, especially when I was a teenager, but the sound of their voices is a wonderful memory for me now. One song I remember them doing is "Suppertime," a country gospel standard. Its religious bathos made me cringe back in the day, and I guess it still does a little, but I understand the sentiment a lot better now than I did then.

This is a clip of Johnny Cash delivering the song about as well as anyone possibly could. I think Hal would enjoy it.




"Suppertime" was penned by Jimmie Davis, an interesting character you can read about here.

2 comments:

jmcleod76 said...

Rest In Peace, Maria's uncle Hal.

Namu Amida Butsu.

chayaruchama said...

Yes, Jaime.

May Hal's memory be for a blessing...

Nothing better than Johnny Cash..unless it's neck-in-neck w/ Ralph Stanley.

My condolences, darlin'.