Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I'm back, sort of

Oh—is it Wednesday night already? It’s been a long time since I neglected the blog this many days in a row without a good excuse, like a trip to Europe or a case of the swine flu. Sorry about that. I’ve been busy, and when not busy, obsessed with the work of William Vollmann. I said in my previous post that Kissing the Mask is so good I bought it twice, and that’s literally true. I first got it on my Kindle, believing it would be interesting but unworthy of taking up a space on the bookshelves. Twenty pages in, I was completely in love with the book and had to have it in the flesh, so to speak. I’ve finished Kissing the Mask and now I’m surveying Vollmann’s vast output, sampling here and there, trying to decide where to dig in. Any suggestions? (Please don't say Argall.)

I'm afraid you may be treated to a few upcoming posts about Kissing the Mask. Or perhaps I'll spare you. But in any case, if you read it, email me and tell me what you think. I'd love to discuss it. Meanwhile, here's a wonderfully alluring, creepy video featuring a Noh mask. It's actually a promotional video for a Japanese antique seller, which somehow makes it more surreal.

1 comment:

La Bonne Vivante said...

Any book that good is for me...I'm gonna find it today!