Monday, December 29, 2008

R.I.P.**























The Author to her Book
by Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)

Thou ill-form’d offspring of my feeble brain,
Who after birth did’st by my side remain,
Till snatcht from thence by friends, less wise then true,
Who thee abroad expos’d to publick view,
Made thee in raggs, halting to th’ press to trudge,
Where errors were not lessened (all may judg).
At thy return my blushing was not small,
My rambling brat (in print) should mother call,
I cast thee by as one unfit for light,
Thy Visage was so irksome in my sight;
Yet being mine own, at length affection would
Thy blemishes amend, if so I could:
I wash’d thy face, but more defects I saw,
And rubbing off a spot, still made a flaw.
I stretcht thy joynts to make thee even feet,
Yet still thou run’st more hobling then is meet;
In better dress to trim thee was my mind,
But nought save home-spun Cloth, i’ th’ house I find.
In this array, ’mongst Vulgars mayst thou roam,
In Criticks hands, beware thou dost not come;
And take thy way where yet thou art not known,
If for thy Father askt, say, thou hadst none:
And for thy Mother, she alas is poor,
Which caus’d her thus to send thee out of door.



Text via Poetry Foundation

The Reader Wreathed with Flowers (Virgil's Muse), Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot, 1845. Image from Web Gallery of Art.

**All things must pass, and so it is with the book page at the Nashville Scene. We got word today that the corporate weasels have decreed its death. Not surprising, but still kinda sad.

3 comments:

ScentScelf said...

Blast. The demise of newspapering has been the longest painful death scene I have ever witnessed. The book page will come back, someday...but I am very sorry to hear of yours, now.

What is this Alice in Wonderland perfume in your current scent box?

BitterGrace said...

I appreciate your condolences, SS. I find that I'm sadder about this than I would have expected, given that we could all see it coming months ago.

Alice is a wonderful sweet, green violet scent by Konstantin Mihov--also know as "K" or (if I remember correctly) Bvlgari Blv on the forums. If you Google his name, you'll find several blog posts about him. I knew him at POL, and was lucky enough to get to sample Alice while he was developing it. I think may actually have purchased the first bottle.

Anyway, it's great stuff. I don't know if he's still actively making perfumes via Parfums d'Imperfiction, but they have decants at the Perfumed Court:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products/Parfums-dImperfiction-Alice-in-Wonderland__PARFUMSDIMPERFICTIONALICEINWONDERLAND.aspx

As far as I know, the only place to get a full bottle is Aus Liebe zum Duft, but I'm not sure they would ship to the US.

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmetik_produkte.php?products_id=3073

ScentScelf said...

Thanks for the detailed response about Alice/KM. Will go find some...(I hope :) )...