Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Where is that red T-shirt?

Dave is coming home a day early so we can build a bonfire for May Day/Beltane. That's a sweet surprise, though I feel a little guilty because I haven't made any plans of my own to mark the day. In previous years I've gone the whole Beltane ritual route, festooning the trees with colored ribbons, dyeing red eggs, and putting out sweets for the faeries--who, by the way, never got rid of the brown recluse spiders, as I asked them to do. (They don't seem to have played any tricks on me either, so I guess I should shut up.)

This year, though, I'm in no mood for the fanciful. My May Day feelings are not much like this:















They're more like this:















Or, to put it in prose: More revolution, less dancing. I'm sure Emma would understand.




May Day, Kate Greenaway (1846-1901). Image from Wikimedia Commons.

Photo of anti-war protest at the Pentagon, 1967(?), from the National Archives. Image from Wikimedia Commons.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I'm decking out my altar today in flowers and pink candles!

Maria my sister, I wish you a joyous Beltane.

chayaruchama said...

I wish us all a joyous Beltane.
Like Maria, I could use a good broomstick, about now.

[Emma was probably a sister- your mood reflects a little touch of wistful maturation, babe]

Who do I have to blow, in order to get the Queen of Fees to carry me off ???
I'd pay well....

BitterGrace said...

Ah, if only it could be bought so cheaply, Chaya.

Joyous Beltane back to you, dear scent-addled sisters ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh. Beltane. I forgot. A little touch of wistful masturbation is about all that's happenin' in my neck of the woods. But I will go set out something for Titania and Jack o' The Green, and maybe the fey won't steal my keys again.

Perfumeshrine said...

Irritating and superficial observation of the Christie/Doyle fraction:

the girl offering the poppy had been vacationing in the Greek Isles, hence the bag ;-)

BitterGrace said...

A keen eye you have there, E. Actually, I think all the protesters look extremely stylish. Love the hat ...

Re the Faeries, Renee: At least they took pity and gave your keys back. They must have a soft spot for you.