Thursday, October 18, 2007

Polly and Iggy

I try hard to shield myself from bullshit like the Ellen DeGeneres dog adoption controversy, but of course I haven't been able to resist clicking over to stories like this. The whole thing is so unbelievably stupid it defies commentary, though Tim Padgett managed to churn out this pretty sensible column for Time. (Thanks to Margaret for the link.) Whatever happens, I feel certain that Iggy, the repossessed adoptee, will have a sweet, cozy life.

I've already had my say around here about the particular brand of insanity that afflicts those of us who rescue animals. It can be a beautiful insanity, of course. Anybody who works to alleviate suffering--any suffering--is on the side of the angels. The problem comes when the rescuer gets so tied up in righteousness she can't get her head out of her ass.

An incorrigible rescuer who most definitely doesn't have that problem is my friend Jenny. She saved our beloved Nio from certain death, and she has rescued countless dogs, cats and horses over the years. She's a farmer who takes wonderful care of her livestock. She deserves a medal and a million dollars for all the good she does; nevertheless, she periodically has to take grief from members of the vegan/animal rights contingent, who think anybody who would raise a critter for meat must be the personification of evil.

Jenny sent out the message below this morning, which I'm sure she won't mind me sharing with you. It's a great reminder that you don't have to compare Iggy's situation to the plight of poor children to see its absurdity. Most dogs don't have it half as good as Iggy.

"Last week I found a dog standing by the side of the road in a very deserted area. As I stopped to look at her, I was HORRIFIED to see that someone had shot her in the muzzle! After a trip to the vet, I brought her back to the farm for TLC and, (as described by the vet), a 50/50 chance of making it. For two days she was not in good shape at all, but once she turned the corner, she has been a tail wagging success!

I would like to find a home for Polly. She is very good with other dogs, all livestock, poultry and cats. Her kind disposition leads me to think she would also be good with children. She is black with white toes on her back feet and short haired. Her 30# size would lend itself to being a nice indoor or indoor/outdoor dog.

Polly has not been spayed, and needs this done ASAP as she was cycling when I picked her up. Please feel free to pass along this information and let me know if you'd like to see a picture!"


If you live in the Tennessee/Kentucky/Alabama area and would be interested in adopting Polly, just click on my profile and email me. I'll put you in touch with Jenny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I did...

BitterGrace said...

I wish you did, too, Leo. Polly sounds like a great match for you. I'm sure someone will take her. Jenny's doggy rescue connections are vast.