Sunday, July 1, 2007

Could this be any sweeter?


I was in the park early this morning and was rewarded by seeing the cutest critter possible, a fledgling screech owl. I startled him (somehow, I feel certain it was a him), and he flew right in front of me to perch on a low branch of an oak tree. He just sat there looking at me with that wild WTF? that young birds always seem to have. I am such an idiot, I blurted out, "Oh, you're so pretty!" The Paris Hilton of naturalists.

Go check out The Owl Pages to find out about Screech Owls and listen to recordings of their beautiful, eerie songs. (You can read about the baby in the pic here.

3 comments:

chayaruchama said...

Isn't Athena gorgeous !!!
[ALL owls are that goddess to me]
I had a stuffed animal who looked a lot like that, as a girl- she was a favorite of mine.
Lucky you, to see such critters on your daily jaunts, Maria.

Anonymous said...

Their calls are so eerie!

BitterGrace said...

I did feel lucky to see the little critter, even though I think I scared him. Screech owls are just magical. There is nothing more beautiful than hearing the cry of a Screech owl on a warm summer night.